Okay, I've been trying for ages to make pinup books/ comics as another means of income but every time my plan falls through because it's just over ambitious. I don't believe I'm ready for full fledged comics just yet.
So what I'm doing is following in my friend *Slugbox's footsteps and illustrating pin up books featuring around 5 drawings so that it can be sold at a rather inexpensive price.
I'm using the recent monster girl poll as a means to figure out what kind of themes would best suit my books. I'm planing on picking a different type of monster girl to feature in each volume and I'm hoping to get consent from my various art buddies to draw their OC's.
I'm thinking the first volume will feature cat girl OC's maybe in lingerie or bondage or both! I plan on keeping them relatively soft core.
If you all want to suggest cat girl OC's please leave a comment and a link!
I've had various people ask me what they can do to get noticed on DA so I'll write a little journal about my experience with various methods of getting your stuff out there.
I am not at all claiming to be popular myself, I'm just providing feedback.
1. USE GROUPS Seriously people. It's probably one of THE best ways to get exposure. There are so many groups too! You will always be able to find one that is suited to your art. Groups are effective because it gets your artwork exposed to a new batch of watchers (the people who watch the group) besides your own. Try to join groups with lots of members and watchers, as these will give you the most views. A really great group to gain exposure from is
2. USE THE THUMBSHARE FORUM AND CHAT Lots of people go to the thumbshare forum and the thumbchat to find new artists to watch and to share their works. These are great places to meet new people and aquire feedback on your deviations.
3. DRAW FANART You don't need to dedicate your entire gallery to fanart or be unoriginal. A few fanart pieces can really help you get your artwork out there as more people will be searching for it. Also let's not say things like "OH SO UR TELLING US TO SELL OUT AND DRAW FANART EVEN IF WE DON'T LIKE THE SHOW!". There has to be at least ONE or two shows/games/comic series that you like. We can all find things to creat fanart for that we can enjoy. I won't lie though, drawing something from a very popular show is more effective.
4. HOST CONTESTS This can be a little more challenging than the other things I mentioned since you will need prizes. A good way to get prizes is by temporarily opening point commissions and then when you get enough, start a contest offering premium memberships. Free art can also be a good prize. This will sound harsh, but art as a prize is usually only effective if most people find your works to be good. The reasons contests help is because everyone likes prizes! More people will want to come to your page if they know you have an event going on that they can benefit from. It's a win win for everyone! CHECK OUT MY FRIEND MADI'S CONTEST:[link]
5. DO ART TRADES When you do a trade with another user, you also get exposed to their watchers. It's a great chance to get more people oogling your gallery.
Just doing a few of these things will help you a whole lot! Personally, I think groups are one of, if not THE best method.
Send a note titled "Commission" and include as much detail about what you want as possible. Reference pictures are very helpful. I accept payment through PAYPAL only. *Send payment through paypal as "gift" otherwise Paypal will take a cut out of your transfer. *Backgrounds consist of actual scenery (forest, desert, jungle, ect.) *Complex characters and extremely detailed scenery will cost a bit more. Thighs Up colored picture w/ no background = 40.00 w/ background = 60.00 +20 for every additional character Fullbody colored picture w/ no background = 50.00 w/ background = 70.00 +30.00 dollars for every additional character The artist (me) retains all copyright to the picture commissioned. The artist (me) grants the commissioner a license for personal use ONLY, NOT for profit. You may notclaim the image as your own, remove my signature/watermark, or use the image for commercial purposes. Credit for the image is not required if you use it as an avatar. As a citizen of the United States, I am under protection of the US Copyright laws which you can read here If you want to to sell the image or use the image beyond personal use, note me and we can discuss a commercial license agreement. By commissioning me, you agree to the above conditions.